There is nothing better than homemade pesto. Although the traditional recipe comes all the way from Italy and has parmesan cheese, there are many vegan alternatives that taste just as good. You can add pesto to pasta, salads and vegetables. It’s flavorful and very easy to make.
Basil is more than just a tasty culinary delight. It is filled with flavonoids which help protect the body at a cellular level along with anti-inflammatory substances. In addition, it contains volatile oils which act as antimicrobial agents and can help treat pathogenic bacteria that have become resistant to antibiotics. Basil contains the antioxidant beta-carotene, vitamin C and minerals magnesium, calcium, copper and iron. This recipe has cashews, making this pesto also high in omegas and protein.
- 3 bundles of fresh basil
- 1/2 lemon
- 8 cloves of garlic
- Sea salt, to taste
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil (can add more until desired consistency)
- 3/4 cup raw cashews, soaked
- Rinse the fresh basil and add it to a food processor
- Add the lemon juice, garlic, salt and cashews to the blender
- Slowly add the oil while the blender is on until you get the desired consistency