This hearty vegan broccoli soup is delicious and filling, and more importantly, is a rich source of essential nutrients and antioxidants.
Broccoli is loaded with anti-inflammatory, antioxidant and anti-cancer components. It has the unique ability to remove harmful estrogens from the body as well as enhancing detoxification pathways. It’s also a high fiber food, essential for gut health and is rich in vitamins K, C, B complex and minerals.
With 6 cups of broccoli in this soup, how can you go wrong!?
INGREDIENTS (serves 8-10 people):
- 1 1/2 cup raw cashews, soaked for an hour
- 8 cups vegetable broth (see recipe below for homemade vegetable broth)
- 6 cups chopped broccoli
- 4 large potatoes, sliced
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 6 cloves of raw minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 2 teaspoon cumin
- 2 cups nutritional yeast
- Sea salt to taste
- Fresh ground pepper, to taste
- Place the cashews and 1 cup of the vegetable broth in the blender.
- Blend until smooth. Set aside in a bowl.
- Take 4 cups of broth, add nutritional yeast, 3 cups of broccoli, 4 potatoes, onion and garlic. Bring to a boil then simmer until soft.
- Add the contents of the pot to the blender. Blend until smooth and creamy, then add to the cashew vegetable broth mixture.
- Finally, take the last 3 cups of vegetable broth, add the remaining broccoli and potatoes and bring to a boil. Simmer until soft.
- When potatoes and broccoli are soft, add the pureed mixture back into the pot, stir together and continue heating.
- Add basil, cumin, salt and pepper.
DIRECTIONS ON HOW TO MAKE YOUR OWN BROTH:
If you wish to make your own vegetable broth, in a large pot with high quality water, add the following ingredients:
- 5 large carrots
- 5 celery stalks
- 8 garlic cloves, chopped (with skin on for added antioxidants and nutrients)
- 2 large yellow onions, chopped (skin on also).
- Add sea salt and pepper to taste.
- Bring to a boil, cover and then reduce to simmer for about 4 hours.
- Drain the vegetables and enjoy the delicious broth. For extra flavor, throw in cayenne, cumin or fresh rosemary.
This is a wonderful source of minerals. I often make broth and enjoy it by the glass.