Who doesn’t love split pea soup? A fall favorite, this vegan split pea soup is a wonderful dish to serve for parties, serve for lunch, or even just to snack on throughout the day. It is delicious, nutritious, light, yet delightfully satisfying.
- 6 cups vegetable broth (see recipe below for homemade vegetable broth)
- 1 cup dried split peas
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- Dash of black pepper
- In a large saucepan, combine all ingredients.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour or until peas are tender, stirring occasionally.
- If desired, in small batches, puree soup in a blender, then return to the pan and heat for 5 minutes.
DIRECTIONS ON HOW TO MAKE YOUR OWN BROTH:
If you wish to make your own vegetable broth, in a large pot with high quality water, add the following ingredients:
- 5 large carrots
- 5 celery stalks
- 8 garlic cloves, chopped (with skin on for added antioxidants and nutrients)
- 2 large yellow onions, chopped (skin on also).
- Add sea salt and pepper to taste.
- Bring to a boil, cover and then reduce to simmer for about 4 hours.
- Drain the vegetables and enjoy the delicious broth. For extra flavor, throw in cayenne, cumin or fresh rosemary.
This is a wonderful source of minerals. I often make broth and enjoy it by the glass.
Hope you like it!